Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A new filly!


Gem has finally foaled!!! I went into the house around 8 and made dinner. I went back out to check on Gem around 10:30 and there was a new foal! Gem had already passed the placenta and was standing. The foal was still wet and lying down. She had not gotten up yet, so I didn't miss it by much! After telling Gem what a great job she did, I did some imprinting on the foal. I helped her get up since she kept falling over and banging into the walls. The filly was trying to suckle everything in sight, so eventually I helped her find colostrum. It took her a while to figure it out, it was so cute to watch! She passed meconium around 12:30 and was figuring out the whole walking thing. I left them a little while ago to come in and download pictures. Gem was contentedly munching on hay while her filly took a nap. What a beautiful filly! Here's a link to the Picasa web album: http://picasaweb.google.com/phatappy/30Mar09GemsBaby?authkey=Gv1sRgCMv40LWF8bX_Ng&feat=directlink

More pictures obviously will follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment