Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I give up...

Now that the weather has cleared, Gem gets to stay OUT in her paddock. She wasn't entirely happy being locked up in the hay shed (aka foaling stall) at night. And since it rained for 3 days straight, and the hay shed wasn't built to be a foaling stall, the bedding is soaked, and I had to keep spreading hay over the top. By morning, Gem would be standing in wet bedding after eating all the clean hay. If it weren't for the rain, it would have been an excellent stall. Now I'll strip it and let it dry out and if she hasn't had the baby, rebed it for her.

Sunday night I went out to check on Gem around 3:30 AM. She was lying down in her stall, so I was getting excited. She got up and started pacing around the stall whinnying like crazy at her friends (who wouldn't answer her!). I thought it could be the beginning of labor, but within half an hour, she had settled down and started eating the fresh hay I spread for her. I didn't see any of those mild colic signs on Monday, so I didn't check on her at all, and sure enough, this morning she was standing in her stall, bored and out of hay. I give up. She's been bagged up for two weeks, but it really may be another two weeks before she foals! So I'll wait for more signs...

1 comment:

  1. Ok, two more weeks and we will all be a mess!

    ReplyDelete